Green Tour Operator
As green operators, we strive to make decisions that are good for today and tomorrow. Here are just a few of the things we do in our quest for greenness.
We support the locals!
The locals are the stewards of the Galapagos Islands. They have the power to make a profound difference in the future of the islands and they must be the foundation and at the forefront of any and all conservation movements. They need jobs, they need inspiration, and they need a reason to be the passionate conservationist essential to protecting the Enchanted Isles.
- We hire guides who live on the islands.
- We stay in local accommodations. Most are family owned and operated.
- We eat in local restaurants that are stocked with fresh caught fish and locally grown fruits and vegetables.
- We employ boats and crewmembers that are from the islands.
We minimize our environmental impact
Instead of continually creating the need for carbon off setting, we try to eliminate it. When it can't be eliminated, we reduce.
- We run a near paperless operation. All major communication is done via email and our only form of paper advertising is a business card.
- We relentlessly encourage all our passengers to bring refillable water bottles, which we fill from reusable 5-gallon bottles.
- We use washable food containers, utensils and glasses as much as possible.
- Our boats utilize 4 stroke motors as opposed to 2 stroke motors, which reduce smoke, fuel consumption, and pollution.
- We recycle at home and at the office.
- We walk. Whenever possible, we walk in lieu of taking a cab. It's great exercise and you usually see more.
We give back
We sponsor projects each year that benefit the animals, the landscape or the people of the islands. From leading invasive species eradication projects, participating in coastal cleanups or organizing supplies for the primary schools, we are always on the lookout for ways to help. If you are interested in bringing supplies to donate on your trip, let's chat.
Our biggest contribution to being green is our mindset, not our checklists. There are abundant opportunities to live a greener life every day in every country. We operate our business and our lives looking for those opportunities and trying to do the right thing because it is the right thing. If that means picking up somebody else's litter, we do it. If it means walking when we really would rather jump in a cab, we do it.
We realize that little things really do add up, actions always speak louder than words, and we must lead by example.
Join us and let the adventure begin.