Ideas and Inspiration
- Snorkel with sea turtles, playful sea lions and amazing underwater wildlife
- Hike up an active volcano and one of the biggest calderas in the world
- Explore Historic Quito, Ecuador
- Visit 4 inhabited Galapagos Islands, learn about island history & culture
- See the famous giant tortoises in their natural habitat
- Learn about sustainable tourism efforts in the Galapagos
There are so many learning opportunities in the Galapagos, narrowing it down to one area of focus might be impossible! You don't have to choose a focus per se, but if you'd like to hone in on a particular subject, topic, or skill while on your exploration, keep reading for ideas and inspiration.
Ideas and Inspirations
- Learn about the adaptation process by studying the 11 remaining species of tortoise and visiting the famous Lonesome George, the very last of his species.
- Delve into the challenges of cultivating a culture of conservationist.
- Hone your skills in wildlife and landscape photography with colorful animals and rocky shorelines of the archipelago.
- Spend time in the mainland learning Spanish, then head to islands to practice with the locals.
- Expand your knowledge about all things sustainable by learning about the wind turbines, recycling efforts, and freshwater and waste management systems of the Galapagos.
- Animal control and health are other areas of concern in the islands. Monitoring the introduced animals like dogs, cats, and goats is an everyday challenge and essential in protecting the endemic and native animals of Galapagos. Learn about the this endeavor and the veterinary process for sick sea lions, birds, and other animals of the archipelago.